Sunday, August 10, 2014

Finished my first Reaper Bones model....


While I don't think it's as nice as it could have been, for my first Reaper Bones model it turned out pretty well. I decided from the outset that to attempt to do a high end competition paint job on this guy would lead to madness. However, something between a tabletop standard and a collector standard would work....sort of a Dallimore meets the classic 'Eavy Metal style. All things considered, I'm happy with him and I think he'll do nicely as a big bad in a dungeon crawl. I do think I'll hit the edge of his base one more time to make sure it's nice and protected...then he'll get the proper a proper photo shoot.

But as this is the first Bones model, I'd like to share some of my thoughts on them.

  • They are fantastic for adding huge amounts of monsters to your D&D (Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades, etc..) collection. Ogres, Orcs, Minotaurs, Dragons, Skeletons...they have tons of models and the prices are right. I myself got about 20 models for under $30...that includes a full 8 man mob of Orcs, a small band of Goblins (6), as well as assorted NPCs.
  • They paint up real nice. The detail can be a little shallow and some areas may not cast up completely, but with a little ingenuity you can disguise these pretty well (or if you are handy with greenstuff, you can fix it up). My tabletop painting style works well for these models thus far, but I do hope as they continue to add releases they will refine their casting techniques.
  • Did I mention they easy on the wallet? Yes, but it deserves a second mention.
  • They are not perfect right out of the box. Some models require blades and polearms to be straightened out. Some require mold lines to be scraped or sanded.
  • They are one piece (for the most part). That means there will be some awkward areas you won't be able to reach on your model. It also means that some of the details will be missing. 
All things considered, I'd give Bones a 4.5 out of 5. Some small production issues, but overall the models look great once painted and their price point cannot be beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment