Friday, March 29, 2013


Quick photo update taken with the camera on my phone. As you can see, the Tethru guy is done. Not a fancy paint job, but I was going for a catalog grade paintjob and color scheme and not competition grade. Still, he was a fantastic warm up model...shading the white flesh alone was a great me it is there.

I don't know which model to paint next at this point...strongly thinking about putting the finishing touches on the Empire Cannon Crewman I started in October.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Got some more time to work on the Tethru dude. For this update, I've painted the trim on his robe as well as added some additional shading to his robe. The black area on the front needs some highlighting and then it will get a few Egyptian hieroglyphs added. I've basecoated the black marble atop the staff and basecoated the staff with a dark brown....although I'm contemplating using the purple for the staff...still don't know what I'll do yet.

The model has been mounted on a round slottabase rather than a square one. I'm kinda burned out on the whole square base thing on fantasy minis....I'm not painting it for play but for show (maybe for D&D as well) ranking up is not a concern. I used Locktite gel to mount the model....kinda tired of using the 2 part epoxy approach.

The next steps will be to finish up the hands and feet, finish up the details, add the freehand, paint the black marble, and a little flock....

Hoping to be done and have a "glamour shots" version up by Tuesday. I don't know if I'll bother posting this one on last couple of efforts have not exactly been high scorers.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Back to Basics....

Lately, I've noticed that I've fallen into a rut....and that is never a good thing. Someone once told me a rut is just a grave with the ends kicked out. So, in order to get out of the rut, I've decided to shake things up a bit...rethink my approach and try something new.

So, in the "spirit" of going back to basics I have opted to revisit a model from an earlier point in my painting career....the Tethru Master of Words from Crocodile Games. It's the perfect model for what I'm looking to achieve...the perfect balance of detail and clean surfaces. Chris Fitzpatrick truly out did himself on this one (and the Sebeki...but that's for another time).

The back to basics approach means I'm focusing on a simpler color scheme and pushing the basic techniques. Thus far, I've been focusing on my blending and shading along with extreme highlighting (mainly on his beak). Nothing fancy, just good old fundamentals. 

Thus far, I've gotten the upper torso done along with the head and arms. Next up will be the robes which I have basecoated with Hormagaunt Purple...I have no idea what the new GW color is. 

I'm really happy with how he's turned out so far...