Saturday, May 26, 2012

So...it's been 9 days since I posted last...

Man, I have really got spend less time playing DayZ and more time painting.

This week (or week and a half) I once again have the big Scibor marine on the workbench. I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon repainting the black armor trying to get the highlighting just right. Rather than just half ass it and slap a highlight of Codex Grey on the raised areas, I blended in six layers of color....Ceramcoat Payne's Gray and Cape Cod Blue. The result is a nice subtle highlight that emphasizes the rounded contours of the shoulder armor as well as a nice contrast to the giant areas of black on the flat areass. I've also gone in and prepped the trim for gold by adding a coat of Apple Barrel Black mixed with Ceramcoat Spice Brown...the former for the "roughness" of the finish and the latter for its muted color. This will give the gold metallic a nice background as well as a good surface to adhere to. I'll once again use Apple Barrel Antique Gold as I find most hobby paint golds to be way to yellow or orange. Warhammer 40K is supposed to have giants wearing ancient suits of armor with baroque sculptures worked into it...and a bright warm gold just doesn't say "gothic" or "baroque" to me.
The next additions to the Workbench are a GW Imperial Death Cult Assassin and a Foundry Darkest Africa Explorer. The assassin is part of a commission I've been working on for a long, long time customer and will probably end up getting the "text book" GW color scheme...modified of course. When I think assassin...I first think the word "ass" is in there twice and then I think of other words like "stealthy", "subtle", and "shadow". So, you can be sure there will also be a lot black on this model along with a nice red spot color to break it up a little.
The explorer model will get a more historically accurate paint scheme, probably using some muted greens and tans. I've actually had this model for over 10 years now, and I figured now is the time to paint him and give the other parts of my "Darkest Africa" collection a facelift. It is the line that got me into historical miniature collecting, so it deserves more love than I have given.

I have been promising a painting instructional over the last couple of posts, but I just can't think of what the very first one should be. Should it be one for a specific techinique or for a specific model? As soon as I have that figured out, I think the rest will fall into place pretty neatly.

That's all for tonight. Hopefully, I'll post again before a week and a half slip me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment