Saturday, May 5, 2012

More painting....

Forgive the lack of painting updates, but I've been up to my ears in commission work and freelance work. So over the last week or so, I've been chipping away at the AWI British commission that I've been working on over the last few months (can't believe its taken me this long).
This photo is a day or two old and I've progressed further along. The photo shows the models after I've finished "blacking out" the details and given them a coat of Apple Barrel Pewter Gray mixed with a little Ceramcoat White. You'll also notice some of the areas where I've gone in with a .005 Micron Pen and black lined the areas where the coat and blouse meet the details. I've also cleaned up some of the red where some of the black paint strayed (I really need to pick up a new brush). Oh, and I've also blacked out the base. Ken at All the King's Men will apply all the basing materials, so blacking it out is sufficient.
This photo shows where I've gone in and painted all the white areas on the straps and cleaned up the white areas on the blouse and pants. I then applied a wash of Pewter Gray to give me a little depth and contrast (it really helps the folds in the fabric stand out). I've also applied the fleshtone basecoat...first an application of Ceramcoat Autumn Brown followed by a thin coat of my own special fleshtone mix (Ceramcoat Medium Flesh, Autumn Brown, Anthracite, & a tiny hint of Kelly Green). I then applied a wash of Ceramcoat Dark Burnt Umber to bring out the details. I've also painted the "secondary strap" with a mixture of Antique Gold and Cape Cod Blue. I've applied this color to the satchel on their backs as well.

In the non-historical side of things, I've made some more progress on the Sci Fi Knight from Scibor Miniatures.
 
This is his scenic base, which is a miniature unto itself by the way. It was basecoated with Pewter Gray mixed with a little Black. I then drybrushed and stippled lighter tones on until the desired effect was achieved. I then did a few washes of Ceramcoat Burnt Sienna to give it a rusted and weathered look. The broken sculpture was painted more traditionally...a little blending to give it a smooth appearance and then I applied glazes to give the appearance of weathering. The whole idea I kept in mind while painting the base is that it needed to look good, but not stand out so much that it would "compete" with the mini mounted on it.

Speaking of which, here he is. He's getting closer to completion. This photo is actually a little out of date since I've actually painted his right shoulder pad and finished up his tunic. Currently, I'm working on his "boots" and shading the black armor a little more to get more contrast. Next up is his shield and sword. Then I'll be moving onto some "smaller" models :)

That's all for tonight. Hopefully the next post will show the completed AWI British detachment along with the completed Sci Fi Knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment