Saturday, March 16, 2013

Back to Basics....

Lately, I've noticed that I've fallen into a rut....and that is never a good thing. Someone once told me a rut is just a grave with the ends kicked out. So, in order to get out of the rut, I've decided to shake things up a bit...rethink my approach and try something new.

So, in the "spirit" of going back to basics I have opted to revisit a model from an earlier point in my painting career....the Tethru Master of Words from Crocodile Games. It's the perfect model for what I'm looking to achieve...the perfect balance of detail and clean surfaces. Chris Fitzpatrick truly out did himself on this one (and the Sebeki...but that's for another time).

The back to basics approach means I'm focusing on a simpler color scheme and pushing the basic techniques. Thus far, I've been focusing on my blending and shading along with extreme highlighting (mainly on his beak). Nothing fancy, just good old fundamentals. 

Thus far, I've gotten the upper torso done along with the head and arms. Next up will be the robes which I have basecoated with Hormagaunt Purple...I have no idea what the new GW color is. 

I'm really happy with how he's turned out so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment