Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pee Shark and Crumpets....

First up are some Wargames Factory Viking Huscarls. These will eventually be part of my big Viking Raiding Party which I started collecting about 14 years ago (seems like only yesterday). I'm painting them in batches of 3 so I can mix up the color scheme a little in order to give them the crazy mismatched look the Vikings had.

From what I can tell, the colors I'm using are mostly historically accurate (I'm not sure what shade of blue they had access to, but they did have blue...and that sort of thing). 

As far as the models themselves go, I wish there were some more "heroic" scale and not realistic scale...those weapons are just so tiny and fragile. 

Next up is an explorer from Foundry for their Darkest Africa line. I've actually painted this model three times now...and not three seperate models...this model...three times. I finally have him the way I like him now.

He is accompanied by an old GW Blood Bowl Orc player. The model is slightly modded as his helmet spike broke...so I smoothed out the top and voila! I went with a painting style and color scheme that was used during that time. I like to think of it as a "Classic McVey" styled paint job...lots of bright color, cleanly painted and blended. You can't see it in the photo, but there is about 5 shades of red on those shoulder pads and three shades of brown around the toes of those shoes. I won't even go into the fleshtone. My intent was to make the orc look like it would have back in teh day when I bought it...if I could paint as well then as I do now. Trust me, that made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment