Thursday, March 13, 2014

Why oh why am I painting Old Glory?

Long, long, long ago in a miniature store off of Beaver Ruin Road, I picked up a big bag of Old Glory Undead Pirates. I want to say this was after the whole Pirates of the Caribbean thing took off…any way, I wanted to field a regiment of undead pirates for my Vampire Counts army. This was before GW made any models for Sartosa and the Vampire Coast…so if you wanted to have something unique on the battlefield…you were on your own.

For those of you who have never purchased or painted Old Glory (or Westwind) miniatures, it isn't like painting models from Reaper or Foundry. The detailing isn't as nice, the anatomy can get quite questionable at times (6 fingered hands are not that uncommon), and the casting can sometimes mash the faces. HOWEVER, if you are a gamer on a budget and you want to fill out a regiment for whatever game you like…Old Glory is fantastic. And to be honest, there are some models in the big bags that are actually pretty nice…you just have to look.

I've been working on this Undead Pirate Captain an hour or two a night for the last week or so. My main goals were to go back to using my quasi-Foundy painting style for brands such as Old Glory, Foundry, Westwind, and Black Tree Design…and to take the model as far as I could (or as much as I realistically thought would benefit the model).  No idea what I'll do with him once he's done other than photograph and put him in the cabinet with all the others.

All things considered…I'm liking him. I kept his color scheme bright and mainly used layering techniques on him. I managed to find one of his crew that I kept after the great miniature purge of 08…so I'll be working on next (or a Werewolf Hunter from Westwind).


No comments:

Post a Comment